Saturday, May 22, 2010

Back to basics

Hey, quick post here.

I've got this plant in my bedroom that has leaves and vines around the room. It's green (no, I haven't killed it yet) and usually is in good health. I must admit that while busy with work and friends, I have neglected it at times. I came home a few days ago and noticed its leaves were drooping.

Naturally, I realized it had too much water so I threw it out the window....err, just kidding. No, I watered it (as obviously it needed water) and the leaves came back to life. Not only that, when you water it a lot (of which is okay for this plant), water gets soaked up and moves up the vines to the leaves where it forms little water droplets at the ends of each leaf and sometimes along the vine its self.

Life with Christ is very similar. When we're filled with his water (Holy Spirit), it will naturally move through us and be visible to others, even dripping on those around us. Oh I long to be so full of the Spirit that I just glisten with him and where others would desire the Spirit as well. Of course it's not water but rather love, peace, patience, kindness, mercy, grace, charity, humility, compassion, righteousness, etc. In that place, I find my Savior and He helps to show me my purpose -- to love Him and others. There's such a joy in being in the Spirit and being used for His purposes, not mine but His! That is as he calls and directs and provides for, not as I assume and try and fail and stumble.

For those who we don't chat on a regular basis, know this. Life has been hard for so long and I think it's because I like carrying my yoke. I like trying to do things and seeing my fruit. I regularly reject God on a daily basis so that I can do things my way and under my power. This is obviously foolishness but you don't see that until you believe it in your heart. I'm getting there but in the mean time, I think I'm going to start the Holy and needed practice of giving up stuff. Rather than a spirit of apathy -- "Oh, I just give up, I can't do it, this is too hard, etc.," this is a spirit of freedom -- "I give up on this and release this in the Name of Jesus Christ." It is for Freedom that Jesus came and as followers, we should embrace that freedom.

And the rubber hits the road in two avenues right now in my life.

1) I need to give up on the aspirations of becoming a leader or really of becoming anything. It is all as loss, it is all vain, it is all not of God. I'm not saying that being a leader or anything else isn't good, but if it's not what God's (audibly) calling you to right now, for-git-a-bout-it. As personal experience can testify, this issue of calling and desires for positions and authority can lead to great anguish and frustration, driving a wedge between you and other leaders, believers, and really God. These things become idols and our God is jealous, our spirits are able to worship one thing and God knows that. We will eventually realize it (and hopefully sooner rather than later).

2) I need to stop living life as if I am in control and pursuing what I want. Simply put, I need to be immersed in the word and prayer daily and more if possible. I don't and I reap the consequences -- my leaves are withered and I am disheartened ... and that's on good days. On bad days, I am angry and anxious, under attack and just going crazy. I think everyone's out to get me and that no one loves me.

Imagine it like this... we have beautiful temple courts inside our minds and it is in these places where we are to meditate on God and the Word and keep it near. These bad days feel like Katrina, a rush of flood waters carrying up the lies of my past and accusations of the enemy and layers of guilt and anguish just cover everything. If you've had the privilege of cleaning up after a flood, you know what I'm talking about. When we're in God and in the Word, there will be some protection against these floods ... but without, we are like lambs being leading ourselves to the slaughter, we are like children playing tag with knives, we are like people who are standing in the rain and scolding God for it despite the fact that shelter is near by. Should you find yourself here, know that God is the best "contractor" to clean up the flood waters (think ServePro). He will come in and clean things out, he will comfort us, he will make things new again! God will bring us comfort and help us move past these times, and as he sanctifies us, we can only hope that our trust and faith in him will grow and that we will stay closer to him.



So I don't have this down but I pray that I grow closer to God on a daily basis, enjoying the Word and his Spirit. This is the way he intended it and this is not the means to some end. The end must be God, otherwise you'll be chasing an idol and let me tell you that it will not satisfy!

As Donny says, "Stay Thirsty" for the Lord as only he can satisfy.

No comments: